It was founded in 1904 concurrently with the County Down Spectator, of which it was a sub-edition. For the first 75 years of its existence it was entitled The Newtownards Spectator and Donaghadee Review; for all but the last few months of its existence it was a broadsheet.
It was published by Spectator Newspapers, who also produce the Newtownards Chronicle.
It came out on Thursdays.
It was replaced by a Newtownards edition of the main County Down Spectator in 2012.