It originally started publication in 1772 as the London-Derry Journal and General Advertiser, supporting Protestant and conservative political interests, but supported the Catholic Emancipation movement from 1829 onwards. (Its editor left in protest and went on to establish the Londonderry Sentinel.) It changed name in 1880 to reflect its moderate Nationalist stance.
It’s published by Derry Journal Ltd, which became part of Johnston Press in 2005. It briefly had a sister paper in Coleraine, the Coleraine Journal.
It’s been published on Tuesdays and Fridays for most of its history, although it spent three months in 1877 as a daily and the next 81 years as a thrice-weekly. There are three editions:
- City Edition
- County Edition
- Inishowen Edition
There’s also a companion Sunday title, the Sunday Journal.
The editorial offices moved within Derry to Duncreggan Road in 2012 after more than 40 years in the old Buncrana Road premises.