It was founded in 1863 as The Buchan Observer, Peterhead, Fraserburgh & General Advertiser. 12 years later it substituted East Aberdeenshire for Buchan, then in 1893 it became the Buchan Observer and East Aberdeenshire Advertiser. It adopted its present title in 1988.
It’s currently published by Angus County Press, part of the Johnston Press group of regional newspapers, who acquired it from Archant together with that company’s other Scottish titles in 2007. The editorial offices are in Peterhead.
It switched from broadsheet to tabloid format in 2004, while still under the ownership of Archant Regional.
It comes out on Tuesdays.