It was first published in 1856 as the Gravesend Reporter, North Kent and South Essex Advertiser. It was known as the Gravesend and Dartford Reporter from 1864 until 1962, when it became the Gravesend Reporter for the first time. Between 1971 and 1982 it reverted to the previous name, then became the Gravesend Reporter once more. Apart from a 10-month spell from November 1989 to September 1990 when it was called the Gravesend, Northfleet & Villages Reporter, it kept that title until a facelift in January 2011, when it became simply The Reporter.
It’s published by Kentish Times Newspapers, a branch of the Archant London division of the Archant media group. The main offices moved in July 2011 from Kentish Times Newspapers’ old offices in Sidcup to Archant London’s Ilford headquarters.
The Reporter absorbed the Dartford Times in January 2011.
Before October 2008 it was a paid-for title and had a freesheet companion, the Gravesend Express.
It switched from tabloid to quarter-fold format in a July 2012 relaunch.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s also available free online.