It was founded in 1857 as The Annan Observer and Annandale Advertiser and originally appeared as a monthly title for its first four years. In 1875 it was renamed The Annandale Observer and Advertiser and kept that name until adopting its present title in 1971.
It’s published by DNG Media, the largest independent publisher of newspapers in Dumfries and Galloway, and is the lead title of a series for eastern Dumfriesshire which also includes the Annandale Herald and the Moffat News. The series’s editorial offices are in Annan.
Although DNG’s newspapers used to have separate websites, they now share one in common with the company itself at dng24.co.uk, to which the URL below redirects.
It comes out on Fridays.