It’s published by DNG Media, the largest independent publisher of newspapers in Dumfries and Galloway, as part of their series for eastern Dumfriesshire which also includes the Annandale Observer. The editorial offices for the series are in Annan.
It was founded in 1862 as The Annandale Herald, and Southern Advertiser. It was renamed The Annandale Herald and Moffat News in 1874; a sub-edition, the Moffat News & Annandale Herald, was launched in 1914. In 1926 the Herald absorbed another local title, The Annandale Record founded in 1920, and was renamed The Annandale Herald and Record; the Moffat News became a fully-fledged title in its own right at the same time. The Herald adopted its current title in 1971.
Although the Herald has its own web address, it redirects to DNG Media’s site at dng24.co.uk.
It comes out on Thursdays.