Telegraph & Argus
But that’s just its core distribution area. It’s also sold in Dewsbury in the Metropolitan Borough of Kirklees, Brighouse in the Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale and Pudsey and Otley in the City of Leeds; and in the smaller towns and villages of the south-eastern Yorkshire Dales, with a couple of hundred copies sold in small numbers as far afield as Scarborough and Lancaster.
Its roots lie in two newspapers founded in the nineteenth century. The earlier of the two, a Liberal Party-supporting broadsheet called the Bradford Daily Telegraph, was founded in 1868. It was followed in 1892 by the Bradford Daily Argus, which switched to evening publication and was renamed the Yorkshire Evening Argus in 1923. The two titles merged in 1926 as the Bradford Telegraph & Argus, and dropped the name of the city in 1930. The paper switched from broadsheet to tabloid format in 1989.
Telegraph & Argus is published by Newsquest (Bradford) from editorial offices at their Bradford headquarters.
Since 2011 there have been two geographical editions – the City edition, and a County edition covering the Aire, Worth and Wharfe areas – and a Weekend edition on Saturdays.
There’s also a companion weekly freesheet, the Bradford & District Advertiser, which replaced two earlier freesheets – the Bradford Target and the Aire, Wharfe and Worth Valley Target – in October 2010.