It was founded in 1829 as The Londonderry Sentinel & North West Advertiser, by the former editor of the then Londonderry Journal & General Advertiser (now the Derry Journal), William Wallen, who left that newspaper in protest at its moderate stance over Catholic emancipation. Initially published on Saturdays, it switched to twice-weekly publication on Tuesdays and Fridays in 1862, and for many years appeared three times a week, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. It dropped the North West Advertiser from the masthead in 1974 and, after a brief spell that year as simply Sentinel, has since alternated between being The Londonderry Sentinel and the Londonderry Sentinel.
It’s published by Morton Newspapers, part of UK-wide regional newspaper publishing group Johnston Press.
Since 1980 there’s been a sub-edition for Limavady, now published as the Roe Valley Sentinel.
It comes out on Wednesdays.