It was launched in 1973 as the Oxford Journal and is thus Oxfordshire’s oldest freesheet (and indeed one of the oldest in the UK). However, it has no connection with the historic Jackson’s Oxford Journal founded in 1753, which was a forerunner of Newsquest‘s Oxford Mail.
It was relaunched under its new name in December 2011.
Its publisher, independent company TriMedia Publishing, went into administration in October 2012. Chief executive Howard Taylor was able to rescue the company and its newspapers, relaunching as Taylor Newspapers Ltd at the end of the month.
The editorial offices moved from Abingdon to Didcot in mid-March 2013, as part of a partnership with local television company That’s Oxford TV.
It comes out on Thursdays, in two editions: City and South. E-editions of both are available free online.