It was founded in 1861 by James Miller as a monthly magazine under the title The Illustrated Oban Magazine, and Argyllshire Advertiser. In 1866 it dropped the Illustrated and became a weekly newspaper. It adopted its present title in 1929, although the Argyllshire Advertiser had already been spun off as an autonomous title in 1887.
It’s published by Oban Times Ltd, which in turn is part of the independent Wyvex Media group (which also publishes the Argyllshire Advertiser and the Campbeltown Courier). Both the parent company and the subsidiary are based in the town of Oban, with a sub-office in Fort William.
There are two editions: the Main edition and a smaller Fort William edition.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s also available by paid subscription on the website.