It’s been owned by the CN Group (formerly Cumbrian Newspapers) since 1977. Before that it was owned by the same family from its first appearance in 1864, when it was founded by Joseph Catherall to support the Liberal cause. (Technically the newspaper’s still published by J. Catherall & Co.(Printers), Limited.) During the intervening century the Courant absorbed the Alston Herald and East Cumberland Advertiser (founded 1874; absorbed 1881), the Hexham Herald and Northumbrian Gazette (founded 1868; absorbed 1926) and the Haltwhistle Echo (founded 1904; absorbed 1969).
It comes out on Fridays. An e-edition is also available by paid subscription on the website.