It was established in 1991 with the merger of two earlier titles. The Pontypridd Observer was founded in 1897 and known under that title for most of its existence, although it was simply the Observer from 1913 to 1928; it became the Pontypridd Observer and Glamorgan Free Press from 1944 to 1967. The Llantrisant Observer and Glamorgan Free Press was launched in 1945 and kept that name until 1971, when it became simply the Llantrisant Observer; for its last two years as a separate title it was the Llantrisant & Taff Ely Observer.
It’s published by Media Wales Ltd, Trinity Mirror‘s division for South Wales based in Cardiff, and is part of their Celtic Weekly Newspapers series. The editorial offices are in Pontypridd and are shared with the Rhondda Leader.
It has a presence on the Internet through the WalesOnline.co.uk website shared by all of Media Wales’s newspapers. There’s also a (paid) e-edition available online.
The print version is published on Thursdays.
- Pontypridd & Llantrisant Observer
10 Market Street
- 01443 629000
- 01443 665181