Originally founded in 1899 as The Rhondda Leader, it changed its name in 1908 to The Rhondda Leader, Maesteg, Garw and Ogmore Telegraph. At the end of 1921 it merged with the Glamorgan Free Press, Pontypridd & Rhondda Chronicle and became the Glamorgan Free Press and Rhondda Leader, then simply the Free Press and Rhondda Leader from 1929. In 1944 it absorbed the 1900 foundation The Porth Gazette, which became the Porth Gazette and Rhondda Leader; the main edition continued as the Rhondda Leader & Gazette. From 1967 the local editions were discontinued and the newspaper assumed its current title.
It’s now published by Media Wales Ltd, Trinity Mirror‘s Cardiff-based operation, as one of their Celtic Weekly Newspapers series. The editorial offices are in Pontypridd and are shared with the Pontypridd & Llantrisant Observer.
Its web presence is through Media Wales’s general site for South Wales, WalesOnline.co.uk (formerly icWales). It’s also available online as a (paid) e-edition.
It comes out on Thursdays.
- Rhondda Leader
10 Market Street
- 01443 629200
- 01443 665181