It was founded in 1889 as the Barry Dock News, Penarth Express and Vale of Glamorgan Reporter. In 1925 it became the Barry and District News and Vale of Glamorgan Chronicle. It absorbed its slightly younger competitor the Barry Herald (founded 1896) in mid-1962; after just two-and-a-half years as the Barry and District News and Barry Herald, it assumed its present name with the first issue of 1965.
It’s published by Newsquest (Wales), from editorial offices in Barry. It’s part of a two-title group together with the slightly older Penarth Times, whose slightly smaller circulation covers Penarth and Dinas Powys.
It comes out on Thursdays.