It was founded in 1913 (as The Mearns Leader). In 1927 it was renamed The Leader: The Mearns, the Dee, the Don, only to undergo another name change three years later when it became The Mearns Leader and Kincardineshire Mail. It resumed its original title in 1975 and dropped the The in 1986.
It’s published by Angus County Press Ltd, a Forfar-based branch of nationwide regional newspaper giants Johnston Press, whose headquarters are in Edinburgh. The editorial offices are in Stonehaven.
It has a smaller companion newspaper for central Kincardineshire: the Kincardineshire Observer.
It comes out on Fridays.