It was first published in 1893 as the Bellshill Speaker and North-East Lanark Gazette. In 1922 it became simply the Bellshill Speaker; it was named The Bellshill Speaker and Mid-Lanarkshire Gazette from 1936 to 1984, but then reverted to the present-day shorter title.
It’s published by Johnston (Falkirk), the mother division of the Johnston Press nationwide group of regional newspapers, and is a sub-edition of the Motherwell Times. It used to have separate offices in Bellshill, but these have now closed and the paper’s staff moved to the Times‘s offices in Motherwell. Likewise, its own separate website has been withdrawn, and the URLs below now redirect to that of the Times.
It comes out on Thursdays.