It was founded in 1993, reviving a name that had already been used twice before. The first was The Hornsea Gazette: and Hull and Holderness Advertiser, founded in 1863 and published until 1901. The other was The East Hull Free Press and Holderness Advertiser, established in 1905; this newspaper was renamed the Hull Free Press and Holderness Advertiser in 1909 but went out of business in 1913.
From 1995 to 2002 the Advertiser was entitled the Holderness & East Yorkshire Advertiser.
It was published by Mail News & Media, publishers of the Hull Daily Mail and the East Riding Mail, which is their paid-for daily title for the area and of which the Advertiser was the local freesheet companion. Mail News and Media are part of the Northcliffe Media regional newspaper group, which in turn was part of the Daily Mail & General Trust at the time the Advertiser was published (it’s now part of the Local World group).
It shared editorial offices (in Hull) and a website with Mail News & Media’s other titles. It came out on Wednesdays.
In January 2010 it was merged into the East Hull Advertiser, which became the East Hull & Holderness Advertiser.