Its history goes back to 1868, when it was the Walsall Observer, and General Advertiser. It subsequently changed its name in 1873 to the Walsall Observer and South Staffordshire Chronicle, a name it kept until 1969, when it became simply the Walsall Observer.
Latterly it was published by Midland Weekly Media (part of the Trinity Mirror group) from editorial offices in Walsall.
It came out on Fridays.
It ceased publication in July 2009. Although its website continues in operation, no new local news stories have been added since then.