It’s published by Blackpool Gazette & Herald Ltd, a subsidiary of regional newspaper publisher Johnston Press‘s North West division. The editorial offices are in Blackpool.
It was founded as a weekly title called The Blackpool Gazette in 1873. After a brief spell as the Blackpool Gazette and Fylde News in 1876, it became the Blackpool & Fleetwood Gazette and Fylde News the following year. It was relaunched as the Gazette & News at the New Year in 1893, which must make it one of the earliest local newspapers to drop geographical indications from its title.
At the beginning of 1920 it absorbed a rival title. The Blackpool Herald had actually been in publication for roughly 20 years by the time the Gazette made its first appearance, although the exact foundation date is unclear. It became the Blackpool Herald and Fylde Advertiser in 1893, just a few months after the Gazette‘s relaunch. The combined newspaper took on a combined title: the Blackpool Gazette & Herald, Fylde News and Advertiser.
In 1929 the Gazette name split in two. The Gazette & Herald continued as a weekly title for the area, but a new evening title was launched, the West Lancashire Evening Gazette.
In 1972 the Blackpool Herald was spun off again as a weekly title, but was discontinued in 1983. The daily publication continued, becoming simply the Evening Gazette in 1990 and finally just The Gazette in 1999.
It comes out in two editions: the Main edition and a sub-edition for Fleetwood. There’s also an associated weekly freesheet, the Blackpool, Wyre and Fylde Reporter.