It was founded in Barnard Castle in 1854 as the Teesdale Advertiser and Monthly Chronicle, a freesheet consisting mostly of advertisements, by Reginald and John Atkinson. It became a more substantial newspaper the following year, priced at a penny (1d), or 1s 1d by quarterly subscription, and was renamed The Teesdale Mercury and Barnard Castle Advertiser.
In 2009 it received a National Lottery grant to create a digital archive of the first hundred years of its issues, a process that was completed in 2012. The archives can be found at teesdalemercuryarchive.org.uk.
It’s independent of the large media groups. Its publishing company, Teesdale Mercury Ltd, was set up in 1907.
It has a distinctive format which is somewhere between tabloid and broadsheet in size.
It’s been published from the address below since 1880.
From 2006 it had a sister newspaper based in Crook: the Wear Valley Mercury. However, economic pressures forced that paper to close in December 2011.
It comes out on Wednesdays.