It was founded in 1857 as the Marylebone Mercury, becoming the Borough of Marylebone Mercury in 1869. It became part of the West London Gazette series in 1899 and reflected the change as a suffix to its title. In 1938 the title became still longer: the Marylebone Mercury, Middlesex Independent and West London Star!
1960 saw the first reduction of its title with the loss of the Middlesex Independent. Three years later it was simply the Marylebone Mercury once more and kept that title until November 1997, when it amalgamated with the Paddington Mercury as the Marylebone & Paddington Mercury. Both the circulation area and the title expanded to include Pimlico in 2006.
In 2010 the newspaper was relaunched as the Westminster Chronicle – a title which had already been used for two previous newspapers: the first founded in 1868, and the second published from 1919 to 1975.
A slight majority of the print run was delivered direct to homes; the rest of the copies were distributed through pickup points at supermarkets, libraries and police stations.
It came out on Fridays.
Trinity Mirror announced on 14 April that the Chronicle series was no longer economically viable and would be ceasing publication with the 25 April issue.