It was founded in 1889. From 1913 it was the Clacton Times and East Essex Gazette. In 1939 it became the East Essex Gazette, and kept that title (apart from two years from 1946 to 1948 when it switched back) up to 1986, when it became first the Clacton and East Essex Gazette and then simply the Clacton Gazette.
It’s published by Newsquest (Essex) from editorial offices in Clacton and is the lead title in a Clacton & Frinton Gazette series; its sister title (with which it shares a website) is the Frinton & Walton Gazette.
It comes out on Thursdays.