It was founded in 1867 by James Burns of Newtownhamilton and remained in his family’s hands until 1901, when it was taken over by Joseph Wright. A fire in 1910 ceased production for four months, during which time Wright emigrated to Canada; the resurrected Reporter was bought by Robert Sands, who published it until his death in 1915, at which point his executors took over until 1927. Edward Hodgett, who’d worked for the Sands printing works from 1911 to 1920, then took over the newspaper in his own name; his grandsons are directors of Edward Hodgett Ltd, which still publishes the newspaper.
The editorial offices are in Newry.
The Reporter comes out on Thursdays. A paid e-edition’s also available on the website.