It was founded in 1847 as The Harrogate Herald and kept that title until 1984, when it became simply Herald. After absorbing the short-lived fortnightly Harrogate, Knaresborough and District Independent in April 1984 it became the Herald and Independent. However, it dropped the Independent once more after 15 months. Exactly when it became the Harrogate Herald again is unclear.
It was published by the Ackrill Media Group, a branch of the UK-wide regional newspaper publishing group Johnston Press, and was a companion to their paid-for weekly title the Harrogate Advertiser. It shared the Advertiser‘s editorial offices in Harrogate, as well as its website.
It came out on Tuesdays.
It ceased publication in 2011.