It first appeared as the Tiverton Gazette and East Devon Herald in 1858. Founder Robert Were was only 22 years old, and died just five years later. The newspaper split into three editions in 1872: the Tiverton Gazette, the Crediton Gazette and the South Molton Gazette. It was re-merged in the mid-1890s as the Mid Devon Gazette, but then split into Town and Rural editions before splitting three ways again.
It’s currently published by Express & Echo News & Media, part of Northcliffe Media. Northcliffe was formerly the regional newspaper division of the Daily Mail & General Trust and is now the major component of the Local World media group established at the end of 2012.
It’s moved offices four times since its founding; the last but one move took it outside Tiverton‘s Bampton Street for the first time, to the Town Hall. It’s now in Phoenix Lane.
It used to share a sub-domain of Northcliffe’s thisisexeter.co.uk website with the other two local editions in the Mid Devon Gazette series, the Culm Valley Gazette and the Crediton Gazette. Like Northcliffe’s other newspapers, though, its online presence was reduced as the profile of the local portal website (thisisdevon.co.uk) was strengthened. This state of affairs was reversed in the summer of 2013 as the Mid Devon Gazette series, like all former Northcliffe titles under Local World, got its own “publisher-branded” website.
It’s published on Tuesdays.