Originally a paid-for title first published in 1814 as The Durham County Advertiser, it adopted its present title for the first time in 1830. It switched back in 1855.
In 1930 it amalgamated with the Durham Chronicle and County Gazette, which had been founded in 1820 as the Durham Chronicle, or General Northern Advertiser before changing title in 1880. The amalgamated paper was entitled the Durham County Advertiser and Durham Chronicle for four years, briefly reversing the order of the two earlier names in 1934 before continuing as the Durham County Advertiser. It became the Durham Advertiser once more in 1968.
The Advertiser became part of a series of freesheets in 1984.
It’s published by Newsquest (North East), whose offices are in Darlington. The Advertiser‘s office is in Durham.
It’s one of three freesheets in the North Durham Advertiser series; the other two cover Consett & Stanley and Chester-le-Street. A separate series covers southern Co. Durham; all are companions to Newsquest’s Darlington-based daily newspaper The Northern Echo.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s also available via the website.