It was first established in 1895 as a sister title of what was then the Wealdstone, Harrow & Wembley Observer but subsequently went on to become the Harrow Observer series of weekly tabloids for north-western Greater London. It disappeared again after only five years, to be revived once more in 1947 as the Stanmore edition of the Harrow Observer and Gazette. In 1952 it gained its own masthead once more as the Stanmore Observer and Gazette, only to be discontinued again in 1954. It re-emerged again in 1985 as the Stanmore Observer and, apart from a spell from 1994 to 2000 when it was the Stanmore & Edgware Observer, retained that title until its latest closure.
Latterly it was published by Trinity Mirror Southern. The editorial offices of the series moved from Harrow to Uxbridge in early 2009.
It came out on Thursdays.
It ceased publication as part of a reorganisation of the Harrow Observer series in October 2010.
All the titles in the series shared a common website, with local community mini-sites; the link below is to the Stanmore & Edgware community pages.