It was founded in 1957 with the merger of two existing papers, the Ashbourne News and Dove Valley Record (founded in 1891) and the Ashbourne Telegraph (1903). It became a tabloid nearly 50 years later, in 2005. In the meantime it had absorbed the The Derbyshire Advertiser (founded in 1846 as The Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal) in 1976, and the Uttoxeter News (founded 1972) in 1979.
It’s published by Staffordshire Newspapers, a branch of Iliffe News & Media, which used to be an independent company but became part of the Local World group at the beginning of 2013. The editorial offices are in Ashbourne‘s Market Place.
It comes out on Wednesdays. An e-edition’s also available by email or on the website (it used to be free, but is now by paid subscription).