It was founded in 1857 as The Halstead Gazette, and General Advertiser for North Essex and kept that name until at least 1966 (absorbing the 1861-founded Halstead Times along the way, in 1921). By 1985, however, it had become simply the Halstead Gazette and Advertiser; four years later the Advertiser disappeared from the masthead.
It was the only newspaper specifically for Halstead as of 2014.
It’s published by Essex County Newspapers, a division of Newsquest (Essex), from editorial offices in Braintree.
It comes out on Fridays.