It was founded in 1862 as The Essex Weekly News. In 1963 Chelmsford was given its own edition, the Chelmsford and Essex Weekly News, which became the Chelmsford Weekly News in 1971. In 1991 it re-incorporated the South Woodham Weekly News, which had been launched as a separate edition in 1986; the unified editions continued as the Chelmsford & South Woodham Weekly News until 1999, when South Woodham once again disappeared from the masthead.
It’s published by Newsquest (Essex). The editorial offices are in Grays.
There’s a local edition for Braintree, the Braintree Weekly News.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s also available free through the website.