It celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2009, having been founded in 1859 as The Melton Mowbray Times. However, the celebration may have been slightly spurious as that newspaper closed in 1860 after just 69 issues. A second newspaper, the Melton Mowbray Times and Vale of Belvoir Gazette, was established in 1887 and kept that name until 1963, when it became the Melton Times and Syston & District Times and Vale of Belvoir Gazette. It became simply the Melton Times in 1988.
It was formerly published by Johnston Press‘s Boston-based subsidiary Lincolnshire Newspapers, but that’s now been absorbed into East Midlands Newspapers, based in Peterborough. The editorial offices are in Melton and are shared with its companion freesheet, the Melton Citizen.
From about 1985 to 1997 there was a local sub-edition for Syston, the Syston Times.
It comes out on Thursdays.