It was founded in the early 1860s, probably at the end of 1860. After ceasing publication at the end of 1940, it was revived in 1948 as the Daventry and District Weekly Express; it became the Daventry Weekly Express in 1966 before re-adopting its original title in 1988.
It was formerly published by Central Counties Newspapers, which has now been absorbed into Northamptonshire Newspapers. Both were – and Northamptonshire Newspapers still is – part of the Midlands division of the nationwide group of regional and local newspaper publishers, Johnston Press. The editorial offices are in Daventry High Street.
It used to share its name with the steam train service that served the town until the 1950s. The engine used to splutter out steam and smoke going up the incline to nearby Weedon – at no more than 5 mph – and earned the nickname “The Gusher” as a result. Somehow the newspaper also acquired the nickname, and bears it with pride in its masthead.
Its freesheet companion, the Daventry Review – with which it used to share editorial offices – was absorbed into the Rugby Review as a sub-edition of a new title, called simply The Review, in August 2011, but ceased publication altogether in September 2012.
It comes out on Thursdays.