It was founded in 1892 as the South Wales Weekly Argus and Monmouthshire Advertiser, but was renamed simply the Weekly Argus in 1959, then the News & Weekly Argus in 1983. It disappeared altogether in 1987, being incorporated into a new publication, the Newport News. The News & Weekly Argus title was revived in 1993, with editions for Newport, Blackwood & Risca, Chepstow & Caldicot and Cwmbran & Pontypool, although now only a single edition survives.
It’s published by Newsquest (Wales) as a companion to its daily tabloid title for the area, the South Wales Argus, and shares the same editorial offices. It has no website of its own; its Internet presence is through the South Wales Argus‘s website.
It comes out on Fridays. An e-edition’s also available free online.