It’s owned by NWN Media (formerly North Wales Newspapers), an independent family-owned company based in Mold near Wrexham. The editorial offices are in Colwyn Bay.
The present North Wales Pioneer is a reincarnation. The original title was founded in 1898 as the Colwyn Bay and Welsh Coast Pioneer; it added the suffix and Review for North Cambria in March 1901 and dropped the Colwyn Bay and prefix in August of the same year. From 1917 it became the North Wales Pioneer and kept that title until it was merged into the North Wales Chronicle in 1964.
The new Colwyn Bay Pioneer was launched in 1975 and became the North Wales Pioneer in 1984. Apart from six years from 1995 to 2001 when it was simply The Pioneer, it’s kept the name ever since.
Until 2011 there were two editions, one for Colwyn Bay and one for Llandudno, but they were merged in August of that year.
It comes out on Wednesdays. A free e-edition is also available via the website.