It was founded in 1926 as the Neath Guardian, Aberavon and Port Talbot Observer, Neath and County Standard, as part of a two-title series together with the Port Talbot Guardian. It adopted the shorter title given above in 1955.
Latterly it was published by Cardiff-based Media Wales Ltd, part of the Trinity Mirror publishing group. The editorial offices were in Bridgend.
As with other Media Wales newspapers, its web presence was on the WalesOnline.co.uk website. It came out on Thursdays.
It ceased publication at the beginning of October 2009.