It was founded in 1917 by William Grant, an Invernesian who came to Stornoway in the 1890s as a reporter for the Highland News and settled there. It’s published from editorial offices in Stornoway (Steòrnabhagh) by Stornoway Gazette Ltd, which in turn is owned by Edinburgh-based regional press giants Johnston Press plc.
In March 2013, following overall positive response to a readership survey, it was announced that the Gazette would be switching from broadsheet to tabloid format by the summer of 2013. The switch took place on 23 May.
It comes out on Thursdays.