It was founded in 1854 as Lyle’s Dalkeith Monthly Advertiser. It had to fight off competition from two copycat titles in its first decade of publication: first Jerdon’s Dalkeith Monthly Advertiser, published from 1860 to 1861; then the slightly more tenacious Pollock’s Dalkeith Advertiser, which lasted from 1861 to 1865. It switched to weekly publication in 1867 and took the new title The Dalkeith Advertiser in the process.
In 1932 the Peeblesshire Advertiser launched a sub-edition, The South Midlothian Advertiser: Penicuik, Loanhead, Roslin and Bonnyrigg edition of the Peeblesshire Advertiser. After a year from May 1937 to April 1938 as the Peeblesshire Advertiser and County Newspaper: West Linton and South Midlothian edition, it settled on the title South Midlothian Advertiser. It moved from Peebles to Dalkeith in 1947, and its parent title ceased publication in 1954. In 1982 it merged with The Dalkeith Advertiser to form the Advertiser. The word Midlothian was formally added to the masthead in 2012 (it was already part of the URL).
It’s published by Tweeddale Press, who in turn are part of regional newspaper giants Johnston Press. The editorial offices used to be in Dalkeith, but moved to Edinburgh (where they share with The Scotsman et al.) in June 2011.
It comes out on Wednesdays.