It was founded in 1877. In 1899 it became the Largs & Millport Weekly News and District Advertiser, then the Largs & Millport Weekly News and North Ayrshire Advertiser in 1927, the title it kept until at least 1939. By 1968 it had settled on its current title.
It’s published by Ayrshire Weekly Press, a branch of Dunfermline-based publishers the Romanes Media Group, and forms part of a group of titles for North Ayrshire including the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald. The editorial offices are in Ardrossan.
The News‘s website underwent a redesign in 2013. Although content remains free, users are now required to answer two survey questions provided by Google every month in order to gain access to the whole site.
It comes out on Wednesdays.
- Largs & Millport Weekly News
- 01475 689009
- 01475 676468