It was founded in 1906 as the Lanark and Upperward Gazette, an edition of the newly-founded Carluke and Lanark Gazette. It became simply the Lanark Gazette in 1972; the Carluke Gazette dropped the and Lanark at the same time.
It’s published by Johnston (Falkirk) Ltd, the original company behind the UK-wide Johnston Press regional newspaper publishing group, as one of a two-title series for South Lanarkshire that also includes the Carluke Gazette – whose website the Lanark Gazette has shared since late 2012. The editorial offices are apparently still in Lanark, for the time being at least.
An associated freesheet covering much the same area, the South Lanarkshire Extra, ceased publication in 2011.
The Gazette series was broadsheet until the end of April 2013, relaunching as a tabloid on 4 May.
It comes out on Thursdays.