It was founded in 1980 as the Inverness Focus Advertiser. Two revamps during the late 1980s saw it become first simply the Inverness Focus, then the Inverness Herald. (It wasn’t the first newspaper to bear the Inverness Herald title; the Inverness Herald, and General Advertiser for the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, was published from 1836 until at least 1844.)
In 1990 it expanded to cover Nairnshire and changed title accordingly to the Inverness & Nairnshire Herald, then from 1999 the Inverness & Nairn Herald. It reverted to the Inverness Herald in 2008. It adopted its present title in May 2013.
It’s a companion to Scottish Provincial Press‘s regional paid-for weekly tabloid, the Highland News. (Scottish Provincial Press have a second paid-for title for the area, the twice-weekly Inverness Courier.)
It has neither a website nor an office of its own; the details below are for the Highland News.
It comes out on Fridays.