It was founded in 1858 as The Kirkcudbrightshire Advertiser and Galloway News. After first reversing the order of the title’s two elements in 1928, it adopted its current title in 1931.
It’s now published by Media Scotland (formerly Scottish & Universal Newspapers), Trinity Mirror‘s Scottish publishing division. The editorial offices were in Castle Douglas until 2009, when they moved to share with the Dumfries & Galloway Standard in new purpose-built offices in Dumfries.
Its website was a sub-site within the Dumfries & Galloway Standard‘s website until September 2013. Media Scotland then consolidated their local newspapers’ websites as local pages of their website for the Daily Record.
A companion freesheet, Dumfries & Galloway Today, was suspended from publication after the week ending 9 September 2011.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s also available by paid subscription.
- The Galloway News
- 01387 240333