It was founded by Robert Tullis in 1822 as The Cupar Herald, but changed its title the following year to The Fife Herald, Kinross, Strathearn and Clackmannan Advertiser and kept that name for most of the 19th century. In 1881 it became simply The Fife Herald, but became The Fife Herald & Journal upon absorbing the Fifeshire Journal (its junior by just 11 years) in 1893. After changing title to the Fife Herald in 1968, it became the Fife Herald News in 1974 (again through an acquisition, this time of the 1870 foundation The Fife News) before reverting to its present title in 1985.
It’s published by Strachan & Livingston Ltd, a branch of the nationwide group of regional newspapers, Johnston Press, and shares a website with their other titles for the Kingdom of Fife. The series editorial offices are in Kirkcaldy.
It comes out on Fridays.