It was founded in 1871 as The Fife Free Press, & Kirkcaldy Guardian, but dropped the & Kirkcaldy Guardian from the masthead in 1892. It’s the lead title in a group of weekly newspapers for Fife published by Strachan & Livingston Ltd, a branch of the nationwide group of regional newspapers, Johnston Press. The editorial offices are in Kirkcaldy.
Founded as a broadsheet, it remained a broadsheet right up until November 2010, when it relaunched in tabloid format.
It comes out on Thursdays.