It was founded in 1845 as The Falkirk Herald and Stirlingshire Monthly Advertiser. The founder, Alexander Hedderwick, sold it to Archibald Johnston the following year, making it the first newspaper published by Johnston (Falkirk) Ltd, the original company (founded in 1767) behind today’s Johnston Press group.
It became a weekly in 1851 and changed title to become the Falkirk Herald : A weekly journal for the counties of Stirling, Linlithgow, Clackmannan, and the Falkirk District of Burghs. Further name changes followed in 1869 (The Falkirk Herald and Linlithgow Journal), 1895 (The Falkirk Herald and Midland Counties Journal) and 1913 (The Falkirk Herald and Scottish Midlands Journal). It didn’t officially adopt its current title until 2011, the same year in which it became a tabloid after 166 years as a broadsheet.
It was based in Falkirk until 2010 – it had a town centre office in Manor Street as well as editorial offices collocated with the company’s head offices in Camelon. However, it’s now moved to nearby Grangemouth.
Its companion weekly freesheet, the Falkirk & Grangemouth Advertiser, ceased publication in July 2012.
It comes out on Thursdays.