It was founded in 1871 by William Inglis as the Argyllshire Standard and Advertiser for the Coast and was originally based in Sandbank, just north of Dunoon. In 1895 it amalgamated with The Dunoon Observer and Cowal Watchman, which had been established in 1875, and has borne the dual title ever since.
It moved to Dunoon in 1906. It’s published by independent publishers, printers and stationers E & R Inglis, who are based in Dunoon. It had only four editors from its foundation until 1982, all members of the Inglis family.
It comes out on Fridays.