It was established in 1859 by the Romanes family as a twice-weekly title: The Dunfermline Press came out on Thursdays, with a sister weekend title called The Saturday Press. The two were amalgamated in 1864 as The Saturday Press, then renamed The Dunfermline Saturday Press, & West of Fife Advertiser two years later. The current title was adopted in 1897.
The company founded by the Romaneses, Romanes Media Group, still publishes the Press today (through its Forth Weekly Press subsidiary), although the family no longer have a connection with it. (Paradoxically, the company only acquired the name “Romanes” after the connection was broken; it was formerly Clyde & Forth Press.) The editorial offices are at the Group’s headquarters in Dunfermline.
There’s an associated freesheet, the Fife & Kinross Extra.
It switched from broadsheet to tabloid publication in November 2011.
It comes out on Thursdays.
- Dunfermline Press
Pitreavie Business Park
- 01383 747500
- 01383 737040