Its origins lie in The Carluke and Lanark Gazette, founded in 1906. Lanark almost immediately (at the beginning of 1908) got its own edition, The Lanark and Upperward Gazette, but the Carluke edition continued under the original title until the two editions were split into self-standing titles in 1972.
It’s published by Johnston (Falkirk) Ltd, the original company behind the Johnston Press group, and is one of a two-title series covering South Lanarkshire together with the Lanark Gazette. The editorial offices are in Carluke.
An associated freesheet for the series’ circulation area, the South Lanarkshire Extra, ceased publication in early 2011.
It comes out on Thursdays.