It was founded in 1842 as The Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser. In 1876 it became the Banffshire Journal, Aberdeenshire Mail, Moray, Nairn and Inverness Review, and Northern Farmer, although evidence of whether any of these additional titles ever had an independent existence is lacking. In 1951 it was renamed the Banffshire Journal and Northern Farmer; the Northern Farmer disappeared from the title in 1996.
It’s published by Moray and Nairn Newspapers, a branch of independent publishers Scottish Provincial Press. The editorial offices are in Banff.
It comes out on Tuesdays. An e-edition (paid) is also available.