The company’s newspaper publishing activities started in October 1893, when Congleton printer Robert Head (who had self-published his history Congleton, Past and Present six years earlier) produced the first issue of the Congleton Chronicle. The editorial offices were at 11 High Street, where they remain to this day.
Editions for Sandbach and Biddulph followed in 1959. (As a result of Heads bagging the Sandbach Chronicle name, the Crewe Chronicle‘s Sandbach newspaper is rather awkwardly named The Chronicle (Sandbach & Middlewich edition).)
The company was bought from Robert Head’s son Lionel by John Condliffe in 1988. His son Jeremy currently edits the series.
A fourth local edition, the Alsager Chronicle, was launched in December 2011.
- Heads (Congleton)
11 High Street
- 01260 273737
- 01260 280687