It’s published by independent publishers W Y Crichton & Co Ltd, from offices in Downpatrick that were formerly the town’s main post office and are reputedly haunted. It was founded in 1836 by Conway Pilson as the Downpatrick Recorder (it adopted its present title in 1878) and, remarkably, has had only seven editors so far and has never missed an issue even in wartime. It switched from broadsheet format to tabloid in 1983.
It comes out on Wednesdays. An e-edition’s also available by paid subscription.